As partner of Meara Welch Browne, P.C., Steve Browne directs all aspects of annual corporate financial statement audits, pension, and health and welfare benefit plan audits. He has vast experience in the telecommunications, commodities, manufacturing and distribution, information technology, governmental and not-for-profit, textiles, construction, banking, health care, reinsurance and insurance agency, professional services, mortgage banking, agribusiness and brokerage industries.
In addition to his auditing work, Steve also handles highly complex forensic and fraud investigations. As of late 2019, he has incurred more than 15,000 hours directing numerous litigation and valuation engagements involving extensive preparation or analysis of damage calculation models, contract disputes and breaches, corporate veil issues, bankruptcies, and business and asset valuation models.
Steve has also served as liaison between computer programmers and operations management in developing system business rules/logic and implementing financial reporting requirements. In addition, he has directed dozens of fraud investigations involving extensive forensic accounting procedures, conducting interviews with suspected perpetrators and other client personnel and coordination of efforts and evidence with law enforcement authorities.
Steve is regularly called upon to serve as an expert witness for the federal government and the attorneys general of Kansas and Missouri, as well as several Fortune 500 companies and privately held organizations. He testifies on issues ranging from economic damage claims and business valuation to white collar crime and fraud.
A previous speaker and instructor for the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners and the Federal Bureau of Investigation, he has instructed dozens of continuing professional education courses for accountants and lawyers.
Steve received his Bachelor of Science in finance and accounting from Kansas State University and his master’s degree in economics from the University of Missouri – Kansas City.
- Kansas State University, Bachelor of Science in finance and accounting
- University of Missouri – Kansas City, Master of Arts in economics
- Certified Public Accountant (Licensed in Missouri and Kansas)
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, Accredited in Business Valuation (ABV)
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, Certified Information Technology Professional (CITP)
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, Certified in Financial Forensics (CFF)
- Association of Certified Fraud Examiners, Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE)
- Information Systems Audit and Control Association, Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA)
- The Midwest Innocence Project, Treasurer
- Highlands Ranch Homeowners Association, President
Meara Welch Browne has provided exceptional service on complex engagements since 1977. Our firm specializes in more than just tax and auditing; we offer litigation support and fraud investigation assistance, as well as forensics support, business valuations technology consulting and other complex business consulting. Our associates are dedicated to exceptional service and genuine integrity.