Cara L. Smith is a Senior Tax Manager at Meara Welch Browne, P.C., where she focuses on preparing and reviewing federal and state tax returns for individuals, partnerships, corporate entities and exempt organizations. She also consults on tax matters involved in business litigation, mergers and acquisitions, and estate tax and gift tax transactions, and represents clients under audit with the Internal Revenue Service.
As a Certified Financial Planner and a Certified Public Accountant, Cara advises clients on tax planning issues including fringe benefits, retirement plans and tax credits, among various other issues. In addition, she prepares tax accruals under the rules governed by ASC 740 (FAS 109) and FIN 48 analysis for audited corporate clients.
Cara attended Northwest Missouri State University, where she earned her Bachelor of Science in business administration and in accounting, as well as the University of Missouri – Kansas City, where she earned a master’s in accounting with focus on taxation.
- Northwest Missouri State University, Bachelor of Science in business administration, accounting
- University of Missouri – Kansas City, master’s in accounting, focus on taxation
- Certified Public Accountant (Licensed in Missouri and Kansas)
- Certified Financial Planner
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Missouri Society of Certified Public Accountants, Member, 2000-present
- Missouri Society of Certified Public Accountants, Accounting Careers Committee, 2007-2008
- Missouri Society of Certified Public Accountants, Taxation Committee, 2009-2010
- Missouri Society of Certified Public Accountants, LEAP Ambassador, 2007
- American Business Women’s Association, Member, 2007
- American Business Women’s Association, VP Finance, 2008-2009
- Leawood Chamber of Commerce, Member, 2014-present
- Kansas City Estate Planning Symposium, Fundamentals Committee, 2016
Honors + Awards
- MSCPA Women to Watch Award 2007
- Kansas City Star, Moneywise Contributor
- Journal of Financial Planning, Columnist
- Journal in the Round, Participant, 2018
- Ronald McDonald House Charities, Finance Committee and Audit Committee member, 2010-present
- NBC Channel 41’s Call for Action Phone Bank “Ask the Tax Expert”
Meara Welch Browne has provided exceptional service on complex engagements since 1977. Our firm specializes in more than just tax and auditing; we offer litigation support and fraud investigation assistance, as well as forensics support, business valuations technology consulting and other complex business consulting. Our associates are dedicated to exceptional service and genuine integrity.